Become a Catechist – do something of eternal significance!
Thank you for your interest in helping to share the hope and joy that Jesus brings.
As a catechist you will “…. help towards forming mature faith lives that, in Christ, can both celebrate the joys of life and weather life’s storms to live lives of thanksgiving with outward looking charity/service” – Archbishop Julian Porteous (Hobart).
Your role as a Catechist
In making a commitment to be an effective volunteer catechist, you are to:
- be a living witness of Christ and a witness of God’s love
- faithfully hand on the teachings of Christ as handed on by the successors to the Apostles, our Bishops, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit
- adapt to the needs of students
- exercise due care for the safety and good behaviour of students in your care
- have a current and verified Work with Children Check (WWCC), be aware of and accept guidelines of Child Protection legislation and any other relevant legislative provision
- cooperate willingly with the parish priest in fulfilling your duties for catechesis
- attend training workshops and opportunities in classroom management, safeguarding and use of the approved curriculum
- use the authorised curriculum programs and support resources
- be available for a minimum 30 minutes each week during school terms for SRE lessons
How YOU will Benefit as a Catechist
The rewards of being a catechist are significant and include:
- receiving quality training and professional development
- having the opportunity to deepen the gift of faith that has been given to you
- contributing to the development of your own parish
- sharing about the gift of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic faith with others
- meeting new friends
Does this sound like a commitment you are prepared to make? If so, please complete the details below:
Become a Catechist (Expression of Interest)
Thank you for showing an interest in becoming a parish catechist for the sake of our children in public schools. Please complete this form to register your expression of interest. Your local Parish Coordinator will be in contact soon.